1 posizione da Ricercatore (M/F) presso Eurac
Si segnala 1 posizione da ricercatore in “statistical models for climate scenario generation and the assessment of multi-scale climate-related hazards” presso Eurac in Bolzano. E’ possibile candidarsi fino al 22 Marzo 2023.
Di seguito maggiori dettagli.
The position is open within the Center for Climate Change and Transformation, a new interdisciplinary platform created in Eurac Research to bring together the expertise and experience of all the institutes that are working on climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies at all levels and in many geographical areas of the world.
The successful candidate will perform research activities within the field of advanced statistical modelling for scenario generation of climate-related hazards supporting risk mitigation and adaptation at multiple scales within the framework of the Italian PNRR Project RETURN. RETURN (multi-Risk sciEnce for resilienT commUnities undeR a changiNg climate) is a 3-year project funded by the PNRR (National Recovery and Resilience Plan) with the aim of better managing the increasing systemic and interconnected environmental, natural and anthropogenic risks. The project fosters the resilient and sustainable development of Italian most complex and vulnerable areas with a holistic and interdisciplinary approach.
Within the project, Eurac Research is responsible for carrying out activities on climate-related hazard assessment and scenario generation supporting risk mitigation and adaptation for Italian regions. More specifically, EURAC researchers, in cooperation with project partners, will perform an indicator-based assessment of past and current climate hazards for multiple sectors and will develop novel hybrid models for the generation of hazard indicator scenarios by combining process-based and data-driven methods. Machine learning and deep learning schemes will be also exploited in order to downscale and bias adjust state-of-the-art forecasts and scenarios at the scales required by end-user applications and impact studies.
It is expected that the candidate will support the implementation of research activities within the “Spoke” DS of project RETURN. The activities comprise the following topics and activities:
- hybrid and statistical modelling for the generation of multi-scale scenarios of climate-related hazards and uncertainty assessment
- advanced statistical schemes for downscaling forecasts and projections
- multi-scale climate-related hazard assessment for risk and impact studies in Italian regions and for multiple sectors
- writing of project reports and scientific publications
- dissemination of project´s results in seminars, meetings and conferences
- coordination within the project´s EURAC team and the other partners in the RETURN consortium, tasks coordination and implementation of reporting duties.
- Master’s degree in the field of atmospheric and environmental sciences (e.g., Physics, Environmental engineering, Environmental sciences) or a comparable course of study with a solid background in statistics and data processing
- Experience in simulating and understanding weather and climate-related processes through data-driven models, including machine learning techniques
- Knowledge of post-processing techniques for climate and weather model simulations, including downscaling Experience in manipulating large data volumes and multi-dimensional data (e.g., in netCDF format) High proficiency in high-level scripting languages (e.g., Python, R)
- High proficiency in written and spoken English. Good command of Italian is a plus.
- Experience/Interest in writing peer-reviewed papers
- Proactive, independent approach to achieve personal and collective objectives and positive team player
- Full-time (40hrs/week) 2-year contract with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory work performance
- Opportunity to work in a young international and interdisciplinary team
- Working conditions which foster continuous professional growth and know-how acquisition with career opportunity as applied researcher
- Attractive living and working conditions (Great Place to Work©) and a stunningly beautiful surrounding
Please visit this link to apply.
Company: Eurac Research
Contact person: Manuela Bernardi
E-mail address: email@example.com
Interested candidates should submit their application (CV, cover letter and further relevant documents) by 22.03.2023.